Friday, September 25, 2015

Can games be made into Film?




As technology progresses, board and card games became more of a thing in the past. Save for gamblers and old schoolers. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But to make, or not to make our favorite games into movies. That is the question. 

         In the past we actually have had games made into movies. Such as Clue and battleship. Were they good? I haven't seen Battleship so I can't say. But you can say in the comments! As for Clue I found it to be entertaining and pretty funny. "In your hands, you each hold a lethal weapon." Never knew when you're going to need a noose! Can anybody tell me what you're supposed to do with a lead pipe?? Because I seriously don't know. So with those out of the way, let's look at games that have an amount of potential, big or small, for film. 

         




    Why Candy Land could make a movie: For those who haven't played the game, Candy Land is basically a race to get to King Candy's castle. (Not the one from Wreck-it-Ralph) It has your typical "Move forward/back one space" and "something happened, move here" kind of thing. What I like about this game is it's colors, characters, and locations. You know like Lord Licorice and Princess Lolly. You know you love it! So could it make a decent movie? If I was the writer, this would be the story line: Twins, a boy and a girl, stumble on an abandoned candy store and are transported to Candy Land. With the help of the characters, they have to race against Lord Licorice to get to King Candy's castle before he tries to take over! Is this a good story? It is kind of typical though. What story would you come up with for this?

        Magic The Gathering: Although I don't know that much about it, I know enough to tell you why it could be made into something. MTG is a really complicated card game. At least it is for people who haven't played it. .....Like me. Now this game is so huge it couldn't really fit into a movie. If you look at the whole concept of the game, it turns into a freaking UNIVERSE! Kinda like Star Wars. P.S If I sound like I'm against this game, I'm not. Because anybody who knows me knows that I have a great love for fantasy. So if I won't call it a movie, then what? What I'm suggesting here is t.v series. There's so many characters and circumstances to come out of the game to accommodate that. I could see season after season of new creatures and battles to fought. Handy Helper: The Nerd Store at Valley Fair Mall, West Valley City, Utah is a good place to look for MTG stuff.


        A word concerning Monopoly: As much as we all love this game, I don't think it would make much of a film. Here's why: Monopoly takes us into the world of buying and selling business. Turn that into a story line for a film, and it probably won't sound too exciting. That's like making a movie about nothing but the stock market. So if there's a game I wouldn't make into a movie, it's Monopoly. 


         Do you agree with this? What other games could make it into film? Story line ideas? I would love your thoughts and don't forget to request a non-rated R Halloween movie for me to write about in October! Be sure to like, comment, share, and follow to always come back for more enchanted tales of film!












         





1 comment:

  1. I've played magic Amme I still think it's really complicated!

    ReplyDelete